A-31.Tamane, Pt. I 滾音2-1

A-31.Tamane, Pt. I 滾音2-1

"shakuhachi tips"
原作者:柿堺香老師 (Kaoru Kakizakai)
英文翻譯: Zachary Braverman
進階篇31.
August 1999

A-31.Tamane, Pt. I 滾音2-1

[Translator's note: Tamane is a rolling or trilling sound created during playing. I have decided to make available a couple representative examples of tamane. The first is on a 1.8 flute, from the end of Suzuru.The second is on a 3.0 flute, from the middle of Nezasaha Koku, both performed by Yoshinobu Taniguchi. Let me know if you have difficulties listening to the MP3’s.]

Well, today I am finally going to write about tamane. It's something I have avoided because it is so difficult to explain. I will do my best here, but I highly suggest that you get a teacher who can do the technique to show it to you in person.

Tamane can be divided broadly into two types:

Type 1: This type involves trilling the tip of your tongue to create a vibration. It is like the trilled –r” of Spanish. Place the tip of your tongue lightly against the front part of the roof of your mouth,then blow air between the tongue and the roof of your mouth so that the tip of your tongue flutters (vibrates) quickly.

Once you get the hang of this, you might find that you cannot do it simultaneously with playing the shakuhachi. It takes time to adjust to trilling your tongue while keeping the mouth shape required to blow notes. My advice is to relax. You definitely won't succeed with two much tension in your mouth.

Type 2: This type involves vibrating your uvula [the little thing hanging down in the back of your throat]. Constrict your throat somewhat, then close it off with your uvula. Blow air through, and the uvula should vibrate as it passes through. Think of it like snoring.

If it's hard to visualize, lie on your side and try snoring! It's OK if the vibration occurs on the in-breath. Like the first type of tamane, it takes practice to be able to do this while playing the shakuhachi. Remember, it's important to relax.

Both techniques revolve around causing a vibration while maintaining the mouth shape necessary to play the flute. This can be a difficult technique to catch,but you will get it if you keep at it. More on tamane next month.

發新話題